MEAL PLANNING FOR A FAMILY ON THE GO
As summer approaches so does the softball season. Evenings and weekends will be getting busier with softball practices, games and tournaments creeping into your schedule. As schedules become more hectic it is important to be prepared and plan ahead to ensure you maintain a healthy diet. Making a habit of eating nutritious meals into will have a positive impact on athletic performance.
The following tips will help you make meal planning easier:
- Prepare a recipe box of quick and nutritious meal ideas
- Create a weekly meal plan and shopping list. Try using a tool like Eat Right Ontario’s My Meal Planner.
- Do prep work ahead of time – make a large amount of spaghetti sauce and freeze some, have vegetables chopped ahead of time to save time making stir-fry’s and salads
If you are strapped for time and your only option is fast food, you can still make healthy choices. Click here for a guide to making healthier choices at restaurants.
As a sport parent you are probably on the go with after school sports and weekend tournaments. This kind of busy schedule can make eating healthy a challenge. Maintaining a good diet is important for you, and it is especially important that your athlete is getting the proper fuel to perform. Instead of eating treats at the ball park, or a diet of fast food, plan ahead and opt for a selection of healthy snacks.
Here’s a list of easy and nutritious snack ideas to help you make smart snacking choices this softball season.
- Fruit (apples, bananas) to dip in peanut butter.
- Vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers) to dip in hummus.
- Fruit (berries) mixed with yogurt and granola.
- Low fat cheese and whole grain crackers.
- Trail mix – combine nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts), dried fruit, and whole grain cereal.
- Pita to dip in hummus
- Pita filled with lettuce, low fat dressing and turkey
- Shakes – various fruits and milk, for added nutrition you can add oatmeal or flax seeds.
All of these easy to prepare snacks will provide you and your athlete with excellent nutrition and energy, so you can be on top of your game.