UTM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
As part of UTM's ongoing efforts to give back to the sofball community, we created the UTM Scholarship Program in 2019. Now an annual award, this program is designed to recognize those who have been playing in a Women's Competitive Fastpitch program for a minimum of 2 years, and will be attending college or university for the first time in the fall. UTM will offer up to three awards per summer, depending on available monies from our tournament revenue. These awards are being offered in recognition to those who have made and continue to make fastpitch an important part of their lives. The quantity and amounts of the awards varies annually depending on UTM tournament revenue and expenses.
We have two categories of applicants. (A) UTM players, and (B) Ontario Fastpitch players.
In August of 2019 Jessica Sanz from the Mississauga SW Hurricanes was awarded the first ever UTM Scholarship Award. We congraulate Jessica on her win, and wish her all the success possible as she begins her post secondary studies at York University. Jessica was awarded $500.00 and can be seen here with the cheque from UTM Fastpitch.
2020 APPLICATION PROCESS
UTM will announce the application process in the spring of 2020. Typically the following things are asked as part of the application process:
- Details of which softball organizations you have been a part of for the last 5-years
- Where you will be attending post-secondary school in the fall
- What program you will be studying
- Details of any community service or volunteer work you have done in the last 5 years
- Two or more references from a coach, teacher or employer that would support your application
- Description of how the award would support your continuing education
All applications received will be reviewed by an appointed advisory committee comprised of members of the UTM Fastpitch organization. A decision on the winners/recipients of these awards will be announced early August. Payment of the award is subject to confirmation that the winner is indeed enrolled in a post-secondary program commencing in the fall of 2020.
The application for 2020 is now live. CLICK HERE
Here are some additional rules regarding this program:
- 2-years playing time for UTM Fastpitch is defined as completed seasons in 2016 and beyond and/or being part of an active UTM affiliated program at the time of application
- Post Secondary is defined as a Canadian College, University, or any other school that leads to a Degree or Diploma
- Applicants under the age of 18 need their parents permission to apply
- Successful applicants must provide UTM Fastpitch proof of school registration
- Successful applicants agree to allow UTM to use their photo on social media, and websites